Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

ROD TECSON: FARMER-ENTREPRENEUR



 
This top rated radio broadcaster is a certified farmer-entrepreneur. He can definitely make money on almost anything that grows on his farm. He also makes use of his time as productively as possible, be it on his farm or on his free time before and after his time slot as anchorman for the popular morning talk show segment. He epitomizes the popular American saying that goes: “A true entrepreneur is one who when thrown to the Florida Swamps, makes money from the alligators, including their cries”.
After acquiring an abandoned farm land in the middle of Guimaras Island-province a few years ago, he immediately brought in some of his siblings, cousins and some laborers to clean and start a farm. He also conditioned the century-old mango trees so they can bear fruits which he can sell when matured. He also initiated any type of crop which he think will help him earn and pay for the lease of the land.

While experimenting with crops, he was introduced to the possibility of raising white leghorns, the chicken breed ideal for commercial egg production. So he approached a commercial raiser for an initial stock of 250 heads, on a complete system: cages, facilities and stocks. The supplier also transferred the technology of raising using the commercial approach where everything relies on feeds and veterinary medicines.

FARMING AS A BUSINESS:

The initial egg production system and stocks enabled him to learn the ropes of egg farming, from producing eggs to selling them in every possible market outlet. He treated the initial egg project as his hands on farm education. He realized then that the most important aspect of farming is making profits and collecting the cash so that you can plow the money back to operations or use it for other important transactions like paying for bills, expansion and for helping pay the tuition fees of his younger siblings whom he was sending to school.

His most important lesson so far is that profitability is only measured by the money one has collected and not the sales which may be mostly accounts receivable and may even turn to bad debts if not aggressively collected. He recalls during the interview that a seemingly successful woman-entrepreneur refused to settle her account for Rod's egg deliveries by questioning rod where the delivery receipts were. Rod retorted that he kept an accurate record of everything as demanded by his accountant and told her that she can have the balance of her debt if that is how she treated her suppliers. The said woman still owes Rod about P35,000.00- too big for a budding entrepreneur like him!

While all aspects of farming is essential and that one has to perfect everything, recording and book keeping, says Rod, is the most important task for a farmer-entrepreneur. By learning how to record every transaction, one knows where every peso comes from and where it goes. “In the early stages of my farming business, I often wondered where my money went and even if I had sizable sales, I continued to end up adding to my farm investment from my main source of income which is my salary as radio anchor man. It was good that I met some people who helped me realize that farming is a business and like all businesses, one has to keep track of everything”.

With the things he learned from 2007 to the present, Rod has learned to become an astute businessman and farmer. His initial venture into the egg business now gave way to many other farm activities such as raising native chickens, goats, native pigs, vegetables, and others which can add to the income of the farm. Every project initiated, Rod says, should make money so that it can add to the income or help defray expenses.

EGG PRODUCTION:

From the initial stock of 250 heads, Rod has expanded to 2,000 heads. The initial foray was a system provided by the chicken supplier where Rod learned the ropes and his expansion program was mostly his innovation, from housing to cages to the use of probiotics or beneficial micro organisms which may help in the growth and egg laying capacity of his flock.

Use of antibiotics-free feeds and Probiotics. Receiving feedback from his buyers, Rod has started using antibiotics-free feeds provided by a supplier who guarantees the quality of the feeds. This practice has enabled Rod to collar the account of several hospitals and food chains where antibiotics-free eggs are being demanded. To offset the possibility of diseases attacking his flock, Rod turned to the use of probiotics which he makes by himself. “Using probiotics has weaned me from antibiotics-based pre-mixes and water additives. Antibiotics may protect the chickens but residues are transferred to the eggs and those who eat them become immune to antibiotics treatment. This will endanger their lives in case of infection where they will not anymore respond to treatment”.

“The probiotics technology has helped me a lot. Not only that my flock is strong, they also have a relatively higher egg-laying rate at more than 78%. Industry rate is at 66%. So with a flock of 2,000. I have an average daily egg production of 1,400 to 1,600. Even my old layers are still laying eggs beyond the industry cull age of two years! Besides, even if I still raise native chickens on the side, their presence is not a threat to my layers. Ordinarily, poultry experts would tell you that raising other birds near the layer flock is a big risk. But look inside my poultry house: there are stray native chickens feeding on the floor”.

OTHER INCOME SOURCES:

“Egg production is my cash cow but all other projects contribute to the general income. My native chickens provide me with a few thousand pesos every month and they are fed with the waste feeds, earthworms, maggots and the grasses they can forage from the land. I am still expanding my goats and I project that next year, I will be selling goat meat. The manure produced by the chickens are fed to the earthworms and the castings are bought by other farmers. But still I have more than enough manure and organic fertilizers so I have grown red chili pepper which gave me an estimated P2,000.00 per week. I am still expanding the area so that I can get more from the chili since the market is stable”.
“I have also given attention to the old coconuts on the farm by cleaning the tops and fertilizing them with chicken manure and salt for its chlorine which is needed by the coconut. Periodically we harvest them for their green and mature nuts. We don't need to dry the nuts for copra anymore because the price of mature nuts for cooking and the green coconut for its water provides more income and we can sell them directly”.

SELLING DIRECTLY TO THE CONSUMERS:

Rod learned that the successful farmer is himself the salesman. “The reason why most farmers are poor is that they leave the selling to the middle man. It is the middle man who makes the most profit. But I have short circuited the system by doing the leg work myself. I have connected with the large consumers like the hospitals and franchise food companies by offering them slightly lower priced but quality eggs. My other come-on is my practice of not using antibiotics which these institutions welcome as it provides healthful and safe food for their clients and customers. My hands-on marketing style allows me to talk with customers and get their feedback so that I can further improve my products. This also gives me the opportunity to learn about new things to produce and sell.

OPEN-MINDEDNESS:

Being open-minded is one attribute of Rod Tecson. He is always willing to learn and try new projects, technologies and approaches. “ By being open to new technologies, I was able to learn how the simple technology of making your own probiotics can strengthen the flock, get them to lay more eggs and do everything cheaply so that we stretch the budget and earn more. I am also a risk taker so that I would venture into something new with calculated risks, which is, that if the experiment fails, I can still recover but if it succeeds, I could earn more”.

“So far I can say that I have succeeded as I was able to send three of my siblings to school, expand my farm operations on this 1.4 hectares hilly farm and buy a few essential things which can somehow allow me to live with some comforts. And I guess, the love of farming and making money out of it has helped me find a girl of my dreams and sing a ditty or two to her every time we are here at the farm”, Rod stated finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment